Nusa Penida is one of the trio of islands that lay off the shore of Southeastern Bali. There are fast boat companies that operate regularly between the mainland and the island and public ferry service as well.
We also made a list of Top Things To Do In Nusa Penida. It will be very helpful for understanding how you should use your time there.
Bali Ports From Which You Can Take A Boat To Nusa Penida
[column size=one_half position=first ]1. Sanur
2. Kusamba Port
3. Padang Bai Port[/column][column size=one_half position=last ]4. Toyah Pakeh Harbour
5. Buyuk Harbour
6. Sampalan Beach[/column]
Sanur, Kusamba and Padang Bai are the 3 ports on mainland Bali from where you can get to Nusa Penida:
– Sanur is the most convenient port of departure because it is near tourist centers in Bali and there are plenty of operators. Takes about 45 minutes.
– Kusamba has frequent service too but it sort of off the tourist route. Takes about 40 minutes.
– Padang Bai is interesting for those who want to take their own vehicle to the island. The public car ferry service leaves from here but it is not very dependable.
So we suggest taking the fast boat from Sanur.
There are 3 landing ports on Nusa Penida: Buyuk boat landing, Toya Pakeh boat pier (also referred to as Banjar Nyuh), and Sampalan boat landing.
You can also get to Nusa Penida from Nusa Lembongan which is one of the trio of islands we will get to later.
Fast Boat From Sanur To Nusa Penida
Fast Boat Companies
There are several ferry companies that operate to Nusa Penida from Sanur: Crown, Sugriwa, Marlin, Bali Eka Jaya and S’gening Fast Boat are the biggest ones. They all take 45 minutes.
– First of all, do not look at the above-mentioned companies websites for the boat schedules. They don’t update their websites. Online ticket dealer’s websites are more accurate. To learn which companies operate from your departure port on date and time you want click here. You can also buy tickets from here.
– Here is the schedule for Saturdays during high season to give you an idea about the frequency of the boats. BUT do not rely on this chart. In Bali companies come and do, schedules change from one season to the other. Make sure to use the link above to get the most up to date info.
You can see that boats usually start early and finish early. Do not expect night boats.
|Firms||Sanur-Nusa Penida||Nusa Penida-Sanur|
|Crown||08.15, 11.15, 15.15||09.45, 13.45, 16.45|
|Sugriwa||08.30, 13.30||11.30, 13.30|
|Merlin||09.30, 13.00||11.00, 15.00|
|Bali Eka Jaya||16.30||08.30|
|S’gening Fast Boat||07.00, 16.30||08.00, 17.30|
– If you buy online it costs between 25 to 35 USD for one way depending on the company.
– There are plenty of agencies around Bali that sell fast boat tickets all over Bali but they charge 2-3 times more the cost. It is best to buy it directly at the port but the tickets usually sell out the night before.
– If you buy round-trip it is significantly cheaper. Ex: if it cost 25 for one way, a round trip is around 42 USD:
Fast Boat Tickets To Nusa Penida Sell Out Fast
It is very unlikely to that you will find a ticket if you just show up 10 minutes before the morning boat.
It Makes The Most Sense To Sleep At Sanur The Night Before The Trip
This way 1) You can buy your tickets and guarantee your spot, and 2) take the first ferry to Nusa Penida to make the best of your time in Bali. The most important detail is:
IMPORTANT: There are no wharfs/ quays which means that you need to walk in the sea up to the boat with your luggage. Do not think of bringing a suitcase. Take what you need in for a few days in bag and leave everything else at the hotel. So you will need a hotel in Sanur to keep your stuff.
Best Place To Stay In Sanur
We actually know of a great place stay across the port if you are just looking for a simple & convenient place to spend the night. Umah Bagus is cheap, clean and its owner is extremely helpful. She will help you get tickets for the local price. We can easily say she is by far the best host we had in Bali. She also has a luggage room where you can leave your belongings for a few days.
Keep In Mind
– If the weather is bad, do not take the boat. The ocean can get vicious. Sunken fast boats aren’t unheard of.
– To avoid being splashed on, sit at the back.
How To Get To Nusa Penida From Nusa Lembongan
Every morning boats depart from the Yellow Bridge to Toya Pakeh. No specific departure time. When the boat reaches 8 clients they depart.
Getting Around In Nusa Penida
Getting around in Nusa Penida might be complicated do to road conditions. In our Nusa Penida Guide we tell you about the road conditions for each and every place you will want to go to in Nusa Penida. Make sure to check there before you decide your mean of transportation for the day.
The best way to rent a scooter is to ask the owners for the place you are staying at for recommendations. They will call somebody up and have the scooter delivered to your door. Don’t be surprised if you are charged more for a less quality bike then you have been accustomed to paying in Bali. The supply is scarce and the demand is high. Daily rentals start around 70,000 IDR per day.
Roads will be much more challenging than anything you have seen in Bali. If you have had problems driving in Bali, reconsider renting a scooter in Nusa Penida. The main roads are mostly fine but for going to most places you will want to see, you will have to get off the main road and then the conditions will be quite challenging at some places. As I said above for each attraction, I have mentioned road conditions. Read them and decide your transport for that trip accordingly.
Flat tires are very common due to road condition. There are bengkels (bike workshops) in every village but you will have to pay for the repair.
Car With A Driver
In Bali cars are too valuable to trust the tourists with so they will usually come with a driver. They are the slower and costlier way to travel in Nusa Penida but also safer. It costs around 500,000 IDR per day. You can ask your accommodation to fix you one or you will find drivers looking for costumers at the ports.
Scooter With A Driver
If you want a scooter’s affordability and practicality but you don’t trust your driving skills, you can ask the owner to drive you around. Prices are usually around 120,000 IDR per day.
Follow Us On Instagram